Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Regeneration in Frederick St

Yesterday I was in Frederick St meeting local businesses and speaking with shoppers. If you've been down Frederick St recently you'll know half of the street is boarded up. It's a long way from the thriving high street I vividly remember visiting as a child so my parents could pop into Hammonds Upholsterers and the Curiosity Shop. Some of the businesses have moved further up the road but some have just shut down. As the street awaits news of the timeline for the proposed regeneration - which includes several new homes - fate hangs in the balance for many of the remaining shops, who through decreased footfall are really struggling to survive. Frederick St is in the heart of the town. It's community diverse and local businesses supportive to each other. I hope everything will be done to push through the regeneration as swiftly as possible - it is a community we shouldn't allow to fall into our history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home