Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Thinking of Voting Lib Dem?

I haven't actually found that many people who are switching to Lib Dem in South Shields, but just in case you were tempted, check this out from the blog of one of my old friends, James Cleverly:

http://jamescleverly.blogspot.com/2010/05/thinking-of-voting-lib-dem.html

I'm confident X-Factor politics won't win through - after all Clegg's policies when you really look at them are far from what is best for this country. Did you see last night the break down of what the family tax credit would mean under the Lib Dem? The figures are based on total household income.

Currently under Labour:
Some tax credit removed at £50,000 and all credits removed at £58,000

Conservative Proposal:
Some tax credit removed at £40,000 and all credits removed at £48,000.
As much as we would have loved to keep the credit for the families earning £24,000 - £29,000 each we just can't afford it and I think people understand this. Also I think it's important to highlight that £24,000 is not the average salary in the NE (unlike other parts of the country) so this policy is particularly fair for people in the NE.

Lib Dem proposal
All credits removed at £30,000 (total household income). If two parents are earning £15,000 each I think they still deserve the tax credit, don't you?

1 Comments:

Blogger Rogue Economist said...

I chuckle at the 'average' pay scale for the coountry, it does not take account of the richest or the poorest (N.E.) of England, the Conservatives I would say have the Economics spot on, the Lib/Dems i feel would end up penalising the poor to subsidise the rich and middle classes, a bit like Greece at the moment!

10:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home