Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

South Shields Redundancies

I was sorry to read today about Garlands going into administration:

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/Garlands-founder-39sick39-at-firm39s.6301754.jp

I recall originally 1,000 jobs were promised at the prime site on the River Tyne. I was intrigued as to how Garlands were making Call Centres work, as when you call a customer services line we mostly reach an operator in India or the Far East. Ultimately the strain of competing with these cheaper facilities proved to much for the North East business and TalkTalk and Vodafone have bailed on British workforces. It's a shame but not unexpected. I'm glad though when I call Orange I get to speak to someone on Tyneside.

The question now is what the building will be used for - it always looked more residential than business focused if you ask me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home