Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Weekend Campaigning



I spent the morning on King Street talking to people and distributing our new Conservative leaflet. There were many people who said to me this morning they were going to vote Conservative for the first time and a few of them, as I gather, went to tell Miliband that too - when he turned up for a fleeting appearance at the bottom of King Street!

They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, so when the Labour team had their red balloons interspersed with my blue ones (there were definitely more blue balloons!) I had that in mind.

The Greens set up for the second time right next my stall, which I wouldn't mind if they concentrated on promoting their own policies (even if it is nonsense about a "Robin Hood tax") rather than pointing at me and talking about Conservative Policies they have misunderstood. But, hey, to coin another old saying, I guess all publicity is good publicity.

The people of South Shields, despite having been neglected by Labour for the last 13 years, are none the less riding high and spirits on King Street were high. First we had Joe McEldery, then we had Emily Femming and now we have Geordie Pantsman!

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/audio-video/Geordie-Pantsman-is-an-internet.6215724.jp

The publicity this guy has had is amazing! He got a mention on Have I Got News for You and in many national papers, as well as becoming an internet phenomenon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rogue Economist said...

I can't believe Milliband even bothered to show his face! As I mentioned on my blog he has been a willo the wisp up until election time. He either feels he doesn't need to bother as Shields is a traditional stronghold or he doesn't want to answer the tough questions.
Either way it's good to see the people of South Shields finally seeing some sense.
As for the greens heaven help the economy if they ever seize power!

2:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home