Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Friday, April 02, 2010

Speeches and Debates

I've just been catching up on line with some footage of last week's political speeches and debates - as I was unable to watch most of it when it was originally broadcast.

I watched some of the Chancellor Live, the Darling-Obsorne-Cable debate. I'd already read and heard quite a few reviews, but I did think Osborne came across very well. Whenever I have encountered Osborne in the city and there have been quite a few events over the years where he has spoken, the response I have generally found is the city is very receptive to him and in the cases of skeptics, they have found him much more competent than they had expected. If you read the Mirror of course Darling came out of it looking more proficient and everyone seems to agree Mr Cable was certainly the most entertaining, but I struggle to find that a skill I would want my Chancellor to possess.

By far the most disturbing footage from last week was Tony Blair's speech in Trimdon Village. Let's not even bother to comment on his physical appearance (which was glowing!) why was he speaking with an American accent? Since bowing out of the Premiership Mr Blair was spent a considerable amount of his time in the USA, but in this short time span - only a few years - his accent has been affected to this extent? This must surely be indicative of the type of man he is - lacking conviction and easily pliable. If Labour think wheeling out this character is good for their campaign, then very good luck to them.

On the subject of my own public speaking, I have been invited to attend a hustings at St Hildas's Church at 7pm on Saturday 24th April, so looking forward to that and other opportunities over the course of the next five weeks. If you would like to invite me to speech at a meeting or event, please feel free to drop me a line.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Peter said...

I think having Vince there is a bit of a red herring - I like him and he seems informed but we all know that the Lib Dems won't win the election so the country would have been better served by seeing Darling and Osbourne head to head without the middle man. Labour have destroyed the economy over the past thirteen years, I hope the electorate can see that.

12:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home