Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Recent Resident Contact

I'm received a considerable volume of letters and emails from people in South Shields right now, I thought I would use this blog to share some of them with you:


Dear Karen

I was also born and bred in South Shields, and still live there as well as working in the town. I do feel that as long as you need a mobile phone or a birthday card you are catered for in King Street. King Street used to have a huge variety of Shops and personally I now find myself going to The Galleries in Washington to shop now where everyone is catered for and we even have 2 choices of supermarkets.

Mrs C


Dear Mrs C

Thanks for your email. We actually go up to Jarrow to shop at Morrisons these days - better parking and more choice in the supermarket - it was a sad day for me when we started to do this.

The closure of Binns was the catalyst of the downturn on King Street, then the likes of T G Allans and other shops which had been there for years meant there was less to go down to King Street for. Moving the stores off King Street and on to Coronation Street is only speeding up the further decline of the town centre.

If Stephen Hepburn has been so successful in regenerating Jarrow (I couldn't have imagined needing to go to the Viking Precinct instead of South Shields in the 1990s?) why can't David Miliband do the same for South Shields regeneration and investment? It's a disgrace how he has taken for granted South Shields.

If I am elected as the MP for South Shields the town will be my number one priority.

Karen Allen
Conservative Parliamentary Candidate for South Shields
www.karen4southshields.co.uk
www.karenallen.blogspot.com

1 Comments:

OpenID Tone said...

Karen,
I am interested to know what can an individual MP do for the town? (indeed, any town - I live in Whitley Bay, and we have the same issues here to a large extent).

Enable local businesses to make connections to other businesses?
Make sure they are aware of grants etc available (I would prefer low-tax regions, but we live in the world we do...)
Organise 'write-ins' to companies on the verge of leaving?
Encourage the local council to be more business friendly?

Any thoughts?

3:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home