Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Is there anybody there?

I promised to post some of the constituency contact I am receiving during the campaign. A lot of the letter and emails I've received this week have involved sensitive issues, so I didn't think it would be appropriate to put much of it into the public domain. However I can share with you several of the correspondences started something like this:

"I would like to start off by saying I have e-mailed David Miliband twice with what I have written below and have not even had a 'thank you for your e-mail' response, I am hoping you will take more interest:....."

I'm curious since Parliament has been out how much time Mr Miliband has spent in his constituency? I know he's been in marginal seat Ealing yesterday - helping Labour fight to hold the seat. Yet another example of him taking his vote in South Shields for granted I think. Hopefully he can use some of his free time between campaigning in Labour's Southern marginal seats to catch up on his constituency emails and letters - he certainly hasn't been busy using his influence as Foreign Secretary to assist in the organisation of the European conference call over the volcano ash problems. Apparently it took us 5 days just to organise a conference call.....

7 Comments:

Blogger David Robinson said...

He would be criticised if he ignored his local area..and as a potential Labour Party leader he has to help out in other constituencies...Which Tory big guns can we expect in South Shields??

9:33 am  
Blogger Karen Allen said...

Point well made - his local area IS London! But, David, he's not leader now / yet, he's not even Deputy, so I strongly believe he should be in South Shields now.

Interesting also to see none of Mr Miliband's General Election literature contains any image of their leader, the Prime Minister, Gordon Brown.

10:40 am  
Blogger Rogue Economist said...

What concerns me more than no reply from Milliband is I am getting no reply from anyone other than you Karen and now Stephen Psallidas suspiciously the same day i posted an article to my blog asking why are people that want my vote not responding to my emails, perhaps someone emailed him that link ;)

Cheers,


Den.

5:46 pm  
Blogger David Robinson said...

how can his local area be London Karen ???...anyway what about Ken Clarke and Teresa May ..are these hard hitters coming to help your ..or that nice Mr Hague ???
lighten up and start looking for a winnable Tory seat !!!...I'm sur that one day a failed Tory candidate for Canny South Shields will actually finish up in parliament !!

11:35 am  
Blogger Karen Allen said...

I thought you were perhaps referring to the fact he lives in Primrose Hill which is very close to Ealing - hence my recognition of the fact you referred to his "local area."

I've been lucky to welcome several Shadow Cabinet and senior Tories into South Shields over the last 18 months. I'll be sure to keep you posted via my blog of any visits taking place in the next couple of weeks. William Hague is a frequent visitor in the North East.

As for lightening up - I'm taking this campaign extremely seriously! There is everything at stake as shown in the latest polls. But thank you for your well words.

7:23 pm  
Anonymous Pete said...

He should be here - he's just proving even more why he is not worth our votes. He doesn't care at all for this constituency, his stupid video on the guardian site where he patronisingly talked about how "THEY have an asda" showed that only too well. He clearly sees himself as some benevolent greater being who comes only occasionally to bestow his presence on us, like Zeus descending Mount Olympus to see the plebs.

You're the only candidate who seems to be putting in any effort. I have not had so much as a leaflet from the Lib Dems - perhaps they're thinking of inventive ways to hide the fact their policies don't match up to the hype their leader is getting - and all I've heard from Labour is those attack leaflets which went straight to the bin.

Keep up the good work and I hope the hustings are good this evening.

ps) Further to the comments of the other chap it would be nice to see William come to the constituency some time, he's a good man and Parliament needs more people like him.

6:56 pm  
Blogger Karen Allen said...

That's an interesting point you've raised, Pete on the LibDem campaign. At the debate this evening (post to follow about it) one of the LibDem team informed me the reason they have not delivered even one leaflet so far is because they've discovered from their research "the more leaflets you produce the less likely you are to be elected." As leaflets annoy people!?!?!? An interesting strategy to say the least and surely not just a cover for being lazy, disorganised or complacent at best.

8:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home