Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Into the second campaign week

After the newspapers resoundingly reporting the Conservatives were victors of week one of the GE campaign, lots going on again on the first day of the second week.

One of my colleagues, who although long since relinquished his Labour Party membership still reads the Guardian, shared this interesting piece with me this morning:


http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/video/2010/apr/12/south-shields-david-miliband-labour


You'll see I did post a couple of commments - I think whatever I posted (so long as I was the Tory standing South Shields) it would not have been what the readers of the Guardian wanted to read! Interesting though to note the tone of the Guardian's piece, which is a divergence from what you'd normally expect to read (I imagine, not being a frequent Guardian reader!) Incidentally, since posting comments on the piece I have had another constituent contact me for help after he'd failed to get a response from Mr Miliband.

This to me what the real shocker of the day though:


http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8614521.stm


Particularly disturbing the Labour Party are refusing to apologise for the postcards - "because it's the truth." The tactics they are stooping to and the farce they are making of supposedly data privacy is a disgrace.

Oh and the Labour Manifesto was released today. I don't count any of their regurgitations as news - just the same old tired recoils - so I won't comment any further.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Peter said...

What would he know about this constituency in the 80s and 90s? He's read it in a book, we were here.

I've had a mixed response in letters to him; some replies, some ignored. I hope he returns to the constituency again before the election as it's harder to ignore people's questions when they're standing there face to face.

(As an aside I'm positive no man whose spent more than two days in South Shields pronounces 'decade' as 'decayed' anyway.)

11:05 pm  
Blogger Rogue Economist said...

Thanks for sharing Karen, I pref the Economist and FT so would have missed that!
It makes the point clear, what party is labour now? I know what South shields think it is, but now it is so convoluted I struggle to see how they are helping the working class any more, I have friends still in poverty paying back working tax credits that were overpaid through no fault of my friends!!

As for the comments, some people really need to see a sense of humour,'Balloon envy?' if they cant see you're having a little leg pulling at millibands expence and accept it in good humour...

Regards,

Den.

11:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home