Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Email from a First Time Voter

I had to print this email I received, because I thought this young person really hits the nail on the head. I'm delighted that there are some first time voters out there who feel passionate about using their vote and I am really glad this young person has decided to vote Conservative because of the let downs and broken promises from the Labour Government.


Dear Karen,
I just wanted to let you know, you have my full support in this election. I am so sick of David Miliband, his smug "no one can touch me" attitude, his indifference to the people of this town and the lies he continually spouts. Nothing would make me happier than to see him lose his seat, and I believe that you are the right choice of candidate for this purpose and for South Shields.
I just wanted to ask you whether you are aware of the imminent job cuts at South Tyneside College and how you felt about it.
The College has had a budget cut over £1 million. Now, remind me again, which party was it that said "Education, Education, Education"? and which MP has been bragging about all the investment Labour has put into education in this town?(in the recent video on the Guardian website). Anyway, due to this budget cut, The college is making redundant 63 members of staff (The gazette article said over 50, but it was the college Union rep who told me 63). This is not only a very large number, but if you look deeper into the cuts... In Sixth Form, The IT and Computing department is going to be cut from 3 members of staff to 1, English from 4 members of staff to 2, Maths from 4 members to 3. I am not sure on the other departments but I know that in these departments, these staff could in no way be considered surplus, and I know that the main concern of many of the staff who have lost their jobs, is not about what they will do next, but of how students are going to cope next year. Already, as it is, if there is an absence in these departments there is a struggle to get those classes covered so often the classes either don't happen or only happen partially. I do not understand how the college can be expected (even with the expected drop in demand with Harton sixth form opening in Sept.) to run on so few staff. It will cause a tremendous strain on the remaining members of staff and overall the students will be the ones who will lose out.
I really wish there was a way I could get more people my age interested in voting. This is the first general election I am eligible to vote in and there is no way I would pass up on the opportunity to let my voice be heard.

Yours Faithfully
L

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

I completely agree with that letter. I have no idea how to get people my age to use there vote to make a difference. My father has always been very interested in politics and through him (thankfully) I became very interested in politics (So much so that I stayed up till 4:30am just to make sure Obama had won), but many people have no idea about the policy's of governments and have the same mentality there parents have: They cannot make a difference, and every party is the same as the other. I have this 'argument' shoved down my throat by adults and young people alike, I have adults patronizing me for believing this country can be changed and be taken out of the dark ages of Labor. Labor have done enough damage to this country, and they refuse to admit it. Britain IS broken, and that's why im voting Conservative.

11:40 am  
Blogger Karen Allen said...

Jessica thanks for posting your comment. Politics has gone through such a difficult time in the last year - the expenses scandal seemed to erode much of the trust left in the system and politicians.
But politicians aren't all the same. The parties are not "all the same." I truly believe we can bring about the change needed by getting David Cameron into office.
There is no way we can go on in the way we have been. Five more years of Gordon Brown would be unbelievably destructive for this country.

4:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home