Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Fighting Fit!


On Saturday I popped in to meet members of Fighting Fit, the youth MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) group who meet four times a week at the Ocean Road Community Centre.

Head Coach, Feruz, set up the club in 2004 and it's gone from strength to strength. They have a very diverse membership, some boys are as young as 11, with the eldest member being 40 years old and there are 7 different faiths. Feruz's passion and commitment to the group - he's determined they will produce a UK champion out of Ocean Road - is clearly inspiring for members. The club also get involved with education and a drug & alcohol awareness course is soon to commence.

I wish the group all the best in the future and in the excellent work they are doing to inspire and education our young people. Next time I pop in though I think I'll decline the arm lock demonstration, which I didn't realise would be demonstrated on me!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home