Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Are they getting worried??


Shortly after I set up the Conservative Stall on King Street on Saturday this Police CCTV van pulled up opposite me. I wondered if perhaps Mr Miliband was becoming increasingly worried by the threat his Conservative opponents are posing and he wanted to keep a closer eye on us....

Alas, I suspect it's just another sign of the Big Brother Surveillance State we're living in. Wonder what they hoped to catch on candid camera at 10am on Saturday morning - a toddler discarding a sweetie wrapper perhaps?

3 Comments:

Blogger The Rogue Economist said...

Yes, I do question the benefits on a cost/crime reduction basis of these resources.

I wonder if they have any public data on the efficacy of the cctv van with regards to the policing budget?

Regards,

Den.

7:00 pm  
Anonymous Pete said...

I've seen that van driving on Mowbray Road quite a few times. Which makes sense of course, what with Mowbray being such a hotbed of crime and disorder.

I hate it. I get fed up of people saying "If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear." Firstly it's a lie because wrong is qualitative and depends on the judgement of whoever is in power - and we saw their judgement when a 82 year old Holocaust Survivor was dragged out of the conference. Secondly I object to the idea that just because I am law abiding I should not care about being constantly filmed, monitored, etc. The mechanisms should not exist in any free country to monitor it's people as closely as this government does.

10:29 pm  
Blogger Karen Allen said...

Pete, you've summed up my sentiments pretty much - Big Brother infringing on our civil liberties, wasting tax payers money on non-effective, supposed crime tackling measures.

You have worried me further though about that van following me - as I live just off Mowbray Rd.... Seriously though, we can't go on like this, something has to start giving - I don't want my life mindlessly monitored, for what?

10:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home