Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Conservatives in Brighton

I've just got back from Conservative Spring Forum in Brighton. There was definitely a very different feel to the two day Conference in a very rainy Brighton. The thing I really noticed was there were lobbyists everywhere - of course there are always a lot of communications and PR people at political conferences, but I can't remember when I had been quite aware of so many and there were so keen to make a bunch of new contacts.

The polls were of course a big topic of conservation. Ken Clark spoke very well at the Gala dinner last night - he's not paying much attention to the current polling, which he's seen before in previous General Elections and then seen the exact opposite happen when it comes to the crunch on Election day.

David Cameron spoke well and without notes - which is pretty impressive for 45 minutes. You can watch the entire speech on Webcameron or highlights of the speech on play politics - see the links below. Can you spot me? I was sitting with the Shadow Cabinet on the stage, just behind Teresa Villiers. Maybe if I hadn't been quite so sociable the night before I wouldn't have looked quite as tired!


http://www.conservatives.com/Video/Webcameron.aspx


http://playpolitical.typepad.com/uk_conservative/2010/02/key-extracts-from-david-camerons-speech-to-the-tories-spring-forum-in-brighton.html

I also just missed Joe McEldery - who was last night performing with other X Factor finalists next door to the Hilton!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home