Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Friday, November 27, 2009

Back to School!


It was a little strange going back to my old school to do an Assembly yesterday and this morning. It brought back vivid memories of my numerous attempts at the Public Speaking Competition - only minus the racing heart and sweaty palms which accompanied my teenage attempts to recite Shakespeare and D H Lawrence! I thoroughly enjoyed telling the pupils about my trip to Rwanda. I'd contacted headmaster, Ken Gibson, after I'd come back from my trip to Africa to inquire about a doing something to link Harton with Rwanda. Ken told me then that in fact my old French teacher, Virginia McConville, had already started a project to send books and computers to Rwanda. So after meeting with Virginia, we put together some outlines for assemblies to tell pupils more about the country. Hope that it encouraged a few of them to read more about the history of the country - I still find it incredible the progress the country is making just 15 years from the Genocide and fully support any projects to help the country.

As also reported in the Shields Gazette:

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/Wouldbe-MP-back-to-school.5886161.jp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home