Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

University Routes to Employment at Harton Technology College

As a former pupil, I was invited to join a careers panel at Harton Technology College to talk to pupils about "university routes to employment." HTC under the leadership of my old maths teacher, Ken Gibson, is excelling academically.

In September 2010 a sixth form college will reopen at the school. When I started at Harton in 1990 the sixth form had closed only a few years earlier and only one school sixth form (St Joseph's) remained in the borough. The majority of students choosing South Tyneside College as the institution to study 'A' Levels and other more vocational qualifications.

In light of the new sixth form, Harton was very keen to talk to students about "routes to university." I endevoured to explain my work as a Lloyd's broker, but considering some of my friends don't really know exactly what I do, I'm not sure I convinced anyone to consider the profession!

A lot of investment is going into Harton and I wish the school all the best for the future.

1 Comments:

Anonymous college jobs said...

This is a great reading. Thanks for the post. we have audience that like to read this kind of posts. we will add this to our site. I have a suggestion for a great site that helps to provide all the information about college and university for the higher academic study for the better career so that the aspirants will able to get proper information regarding their career and studies.Thanking you. college jobs

2:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home