Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Mandy at the Annual Miliband Lecture

So yes, I did attend the Annual Miliband Lecture this year, where none other than Lord Peter Mandelson, a self styled member of the Three Musketeers (although he said it should have been the two and a half Musketeers, as he very modestly gave full membership to Blair and Brown) delivered a lecture on his "inspiration and beliefs" which have "led" him throughout his career.

And yes, I did ask a question and of course he twisted what I asked. Lord Mandelson had been interviewed by Tyne Tees, I caught a glimpse of the interview and heard him claim, in response to a question on jobs and employment in the North East, that we needed to "changes priority." I wanted to take him to task on what this was actually code for and if what he really meant was "there will be job cuts." This was further to the announcement in tonight's Gazette that 350 council jobs are to go and in consideration of the fact >60% of the North East's workforce are employed in the Public Sector.

He of course didn't answer my question - he didn't answer anyone's question. In fairness though, he does have rather a lot on his mind at the moment and I don't just mean the postal strike. I'd be curious to know what he and David Miliband might be discussing later this evening - in light of Mandy's claims Labour have all of the "aspiration" and "new policies" to win the next General Election.

The most interesting thing heard him say (I am not counting his claims that Labour had "successfully managed the economy" and Labour are "strong and united" as interesting - those comments were just bizarre fiction) was his question to me, when he spun my question which revealed his true colours:

"In your heart of hearts, Karen, you don't really believe the Government doesn't know best how to help people (translation: help = take over and nannify). You don't share the beliefs our your chums Dave and George that the Government should butt out."

Well, of course that's exactly what I do believe.

There was a comment from a constituent on housing, that the Government should look to move elderly people out of three bedroom houses, into smaller "more suitable" properties, to make way for young families in need of housing. Lord Mandelson said he completely agreed with the gentlemen.

Some people say there's not enough between the Labour Party and the Conservative Party. There is a whole world between us. A whole world, which at this meeting of 500 (mostly Labour stalwarts) in a school in South Shields, was so brutally apparent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home