Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Friday, July 17, 2009

Off to Rwanda

As reported in the Shields Gazette

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/Tory-candidate-Karen39s-off-to.5470235.jp

I'm off to Project Umubano Project in Rwanda on Saturday 25th July. I learned of this year's project from Andrew Mitchell, Shadow Minister for International Development when he spoke at one of the CWF Shadow Cabinet Breakfasts earlier this year. I had heard of Umubano when it first started in 2007 and as I already had a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language qualification) - from when I worked in Moscow in 1997 - I thought I would really like to go to volunteer in Africa.

So I have all of my jabs, my teaching plans are packed, boarding passes printed. It'll be my first time in Africa and as well as trying to help, I am really keen to understand more about the country and the continent.

When Andrew spoke at our breakfast about International Development and the role of the developed world and its responsibility to the Third and Developing World, it really did make me think quite differently about our contriution and indeed our peacekeeping and educational roles.

Internet access is limited in the Eastern Province where I will be, so I doubt to be blogging - but photos and posts to follow in August.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home