Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Monday, June 08, 2009

Continued Fury in South Shields at Expense Abuse

I've always loved reading the letters page in the Shields Gazette - I remember fondly my Grandmother encouraging me to write letters into the paper when I was at school, which I enjoyed doing very much. I still always read the letters and I have been really interested to see the continued rage at MPs expense abuse which is featured almost everyday in the Gazette. But you know what, I'm not really surprised people are writing in and are outraged. You just have to look at what South Shields' Labour MP, David Miliband has been up to if you really want to get annoyed. It's clearly stated within the expense rules that MPs can claim for expenses incurred doing their job. If Mr Miliband thinks tending his garden is fundamental to his Parliamentary duties for South Shields, I think he's got it severely wrong. But I suppose that's the arrogance we can expect from the politician who frequently boasts 'South Shields is the only constituency never to have been Conservative' while at the same time taunting the electorate with bills for a reconditioned antique armchair, a child's pushchair, as well as his gardening, is taking South Shields for granted. It's about time the town had a local MP who properly understands and cares about the North East.

I read a letter from Colin Campbell tonight in the Gazette:

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/letters/Put-the-parachutes-away.5344577.jp

and I whole heartened agree with Mr Campbell that parachuted candidates – which I take to mean politicians sent to safe seats, who are likely to know nothing about the area, but are favoured by their party - are a very bad idea, particularly at the moment, when people are more suspicious than ever of the political system. David Miliband embodies ever personna of a parachuted candidate and frankly I’d bet he’d never ever heard of South Shields before Tony Blair mentioned it to him.

I was born in South Shields. I went to school in South Shields. My family have lived here for generations and they still do. I am working in London during the week, because I couldn’t find a job in the North East. I want to lobby to bring more enterprise and investment to the region, because I want this to change. I want our young people not to have to move away from South Shields. I believe in this town and put myself up to stand here – knowing this would be a tough fight, knowing Mr Miliband has a very strong majority – because I care about South Shields, because I am one of you and I think you deserve a local voice in Westminster from someone who really knows the town.

1 Comments:

OpenID curly15 said...

Curly cheers and claps, then sits down to pen a letter. :)

6:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home