Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Supermarket Sweep at New Asda


With my parents due to arrive back home after three weeks away and the cupboards almost bare, I thought a trip to Asda would be in good measure, so I headed down to South Shields new Asda store on Coronation Street which had just opened on Monday.

It's a great new store, with helpful greeters to point you in the right direction when you walk in (so Mam will be pleased I did find everything for Sunday lunch!) The store brings 140 new jobs, in addition to the 350 full and part time staff who were already employed at the Ocean Road store - which incidentally the workers on the shop refit told me they are turning into a Primark. There was certainly a good atmosphere in the new store between shoppers and staff, but with over 1,000 applications for the 140 jobs, the demand for work in South Shields and unfortunately the lack of work available is very obvious.

What did occur to me and that was before I had read Curly's blog, which I see he observed also:

http://curly15.wordpress.com/2009/05/18/celeb-culture-disasters-in-south-shields/

was that there was no reason to continue along King Street up to the market place, when you could cut through at Waterloo Vale to Waterloo Square to go to BHS, Debenhams, River Island and Next before heading across the road to Asda. The new store further retracts shoppers from King Street, which I'm afraid only adds to its demise. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the new store - which I think is great, particularly with the new jobs - but perhaps the planning is ill thought out. The developments on Waterloo Square / Coronation Street actually feel quite North American to me, but without the palatial carparks and the fringe of town location - the key components to the success of the North American retail parks.

1 Comments:

OpenID curly15 said...

I thinks it's essential that retailing links are built between King Street and the newer developments, as soon as possible. The major shopping traffic is going to be directed towards the Coronation Street/Station Road area there fore it is imperative that cross traffic is developed between the Market Place/King Street and a speciality shopping village for independents may prove the answer to a few retail problems that we have in South Shields.

10:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home