Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Save the Pub - Axe Beer Tax

Knowing that more than 2,500 have been closed since the 2008 budget, I had an enormous amount of sympathy with Charlotte Bell, who runs the Cranny at the Nook, after reading about how the pub is threatened with closure. I have written to her personally offering her my support. Hearing how The Cranny is on the brink of closure, like so many pubs all over the country, is bad news for the pub as a British institution and one which is more likely to encourage responsible and social drinking than the binge drinking which can be a product of the cut price supermarket booze we see on the shelves. The Government takes 33% of a pint in tax. I think this is too much and we need to give pubs tax relief. This is why I am a supporter of Axe Beer Tax Campaign and I would urge people to join the campaign on line at www.axebeertax.co.uk
Our campaign was also reported in the Gazette:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home