Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Friday, April 17, 2009

Visit to South Tyneside NHS Trust


This morning I went to visit the South Tyneside Hospital. I met with Peter Davidson, the Chairman of the South Tyneside NHS
Foundation Trust and Helen Ray, Executive Director, responsible for business development, GP liaison and risk management.

Peter and Helen gave me a tour of the newly refurbished Stroke Ward and the Cardiology Unit.

The visit to the new Stroke Ward was particularly poignant for me, as my Grandmother had been a patient there in 1995 and did actually pass away in the hospital.

The new facilities on the ward were fantastic. There was a wealth of new equipment, which makes it much easier to mobilise patients and make them more comfortable. The design was state of the art to minimise possible infection and to give patients the dignity they deserve - all of the rooms on the twenty bed ward are single sex and in the new design one bed was removed from each room so an en suite bathroom could be built to increase patient comfort.

I also met with one of the Therapists on the Stroke Ward. She explained to me the reading system she'd set up so that visitors could read with patients - she'd developed the graded system based upon the stage of the patient, because many visitors wanted to try to help when they visited their loved ones.

The Trust have a schedule of future renovations planned, so I look forward to going back to visit again soon. The doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals do a fantastic job which has been proved by their results in regulators' assessments which have seen the hospital consistently ranked as one of the best in the sector.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home