Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Town Centre's Nightlife Dying too

I had a lovely meal in the Rattler on the sea front a couple of Thursday ago and as the night was still young, I decided to have a couple of drinks "down town" to reminisce. I had feared that the new 24 hour drinking regulations might have regularly created mayhem around the Ocean Road and Mile End Road area, but to my surprise I found that at 10.30pm the town centre was virtually dead.

Talking to bar staff and door staff they said the town's nightlife really died a few years ago. Although Saturday nights are still quite busy the rest of the week (including the old Student Night on Thursday) is virtually dead. The door staff put this down to people not having the money to go out and instead they choose to drink at home. That amazes me though as the Yates Wine Lodge - which was the only busy bar - was selling wine for £4.95 bottle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home