Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Stay positive? I'm finding it increasingly difficult....


I think I am a pretty positive person – generally optimistic and trying to make the best in difficult situations. I am, however, very sorry to say that I am finding it extremely difficult to stay positive about the state of our economy and I am particularly struggling to find any faith that this Government has the competence to get us out of this recession as quickly as possible. You just need to look at some of the “measures” already taken – the 2.5% VAT reduction – when there are already 50-75% reductions in store, has anyone felt an additional 2.5% has made any difference whatsoever? All the Government has done is further saddle taxpayers with debt, as a £12.5bn hole is gaping in the Treasury coffers.

So you could say I read the David Miliband interview in last week's Gazette with some amazement and frankly disbelief.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/We-must-stay-positive-says.5081832.jp


I’m glad to hear Mr Miliband wants to "help small businesses [and] not put obstacles in their way," but instead of giving us these soundbites we want to see actions to this effect. The UK’s unemployment is rising faster than most other European countries and I this is not down to bad luck. This Government is not doing anything to stop job haemorrhaging, so for goodness sake, Mr Miliband, can you please remove from your website you are delighted “that unemployment in South Tyneside has fallen consistently since 1997.”

http://www.davidmiliband.info/constituency.htm


So, I’ll say it again, but not to be a gloom merchant, but because I am facing facts and I am deeply concerned. I can't be positive about what's happening in South Shields. I want to see more done, because I just don't believe this Government is giving businesses the best possible chance to get through the recession.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home