Karen Allen

I fought South Shields at the May 2010 General Election for the Conservatives, gaining a 6.4% swing which was a 4% vote increase. The Conservatives polled 7,886 up from 5,207 in 2005. I was born in the North East and grew up in South Shields. I currently live in London and am employed as a Director at Lloyd's Broker Howden International.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Result!

Thank you to everyone who supported me in my campaign. I came first place in the ballot, which I was delighted by.

It was a nervy evenings for many at last night's count. The last three places on the NME were closely contended and there was a recount for three candidates. I was really disappointed that Jonathan Ash-Edwards failed to be re-elected. He did an excellent job last year and will be missed on this year's Exec. I hope he will stay involved, which I am sure he will.

The Chairman result was extremely close, much closer than many of us had expected. Mark Clarke shone through however and was elected.

It was another disappointment however when Munish Chopra was not elected as Chairman for London North West. It goes to show you really can't take any result for granted. I truly thought Munish's election was a certainty, alas it was not to be. I know he will stay involved with Cities and Westminster where he's done an excellent job and I am hoping to work with him on some events this year.

The new NME all met today for a Training Session at CCHQ. There's a lot to do next year and I am glad we are starting to lay some foundations now, so when we offically take up office on October 1st, 2006 we can get stuck straight in.

I once again thank all of you who voted for me. We're right at the beginning now and I know we all have high hopes for what we can get done next year.


Details of the full results:

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/cfdiary/2006/09/election_result.html

5 Comments:

Blogger Tim Roll-Pickering said...

Congratulations!

Will you be blogging your work on the Exec over the coming year?

(And can someone change the name? "National Management Executive" sounds naff and it shouldn't be the member's NME, it should be their friend!)

11:40 am  
Blogger Karen Allen said...

Thanks!

Yes, I am going to continue with the blog. It's quite addictive really and I've been astonished by the number of hits it's had; so clearly it's one of the most effective ways to communicate.

I don't think we'll be pushing for a name change as there will be some much to do concentrating on setting up new branches, organising more Training and putting on Working Life Events and we thought we'd life the structure alone.

7:49 pm  
Blogger Tim Roll-Pickering said...

Hehe - any plans for the East End?

11:12 pm  
Blogger Karen Allen said...

I lived in the East End, the first five years in London, so it is an area I am very fond of and familiar with. I have been speaking with the Area Chairman for London East and we're certainly keen to do more there. How far do you see the boundaries of the East End streching (sound on the Bow Bells?) Hope Docklands counts too : )

7:33 am  
Blogger Tim Roll-Pickering said...

For me the East End boundary is the River Lee and Newham (where I live) is not part of it. Everytime I walk home from Mile End (surprisingly rather a lot) I do feel I'm crossing a distinct boundary and here I don't feel the classic connections to cockneys, Jack the Ripper, defiance to Goering, pie & eels and every other East End cliche going. Here in Forest Gate I'd probably look more to Ilford (where I shop - transport links are key!) and Havering (where my former flatmate works), but as a researcher at QMUL I spend a lot of time in the East End.

You'll no doubt be pleased to here that QMUL has a strong CF branch - whilst other political societies like Labour and "RESPECT" have shrivelled up.

9:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home